Thursday, January 17, 2008

COMO?????

Did you read my post last week? Did you pray for me? If so, you are in for a blessing. :) Cold? Gone. Patience? Provided. Music class today? Fun fun fun! God is Jehovah Jireh- my provider! Isn't it great to see Him answer prayer?

Now you may be wondering about my last request- which was for the language. Well- God has a funny way of teaching us sometimes. At my language class on Tuesday we started a new exercise called "grupos" which is basically translating and saying several phrases in Portuguese in about 20 seconds. I'm not going to lie, I did alright. My friend, Danielle, who is taking the lessons with me did even better. So we were feeling pretty good about our Portuguese... until last night, when the telephone repairman who spoke NO English and on top of that spoke Brazilian Portuguese showed up at our house. When you don't understand what someone said and you want them to repeat it, you say, "Como??" I said como a LOT. It was humbling, to say the least. :) However, it was another adventure in the language and we were able to tell him that we're American, have only been here about 4 months, that I teach second grade at an English speaking school and that Danielle is a nanny for 2 kids. That's sure a lot more than we were able to say 4 months ago! AND our phone is fixed. :)

So, in other news, I was asked today to speak at the high school girls' Bible Study about singleness. Somewhere inside of me, I knew that was coming... at some point. I guess when you're about 30 years old and single, it's time for you to start relaying what God has taught you through it. I am glad to be able to encourage the younger girls in the fact that God is still- never has stopped being, always has been, and always will be faithful. I do feel like there is much He has taught me. However there is of course, no end to learning. There's also the tiny little prick in your heart when you are asked to talk about being something you had never planned on being. Thankfully this talk isn't until the end of March so I should have plenty of time to let the Lord prepare me. I pray that He will use something I say- even if it's just something small- to teach or encourage even just one girl. I like to think of these times as my "Esther Moments"- maybe I have been placed here for such a time as this. :)

So that's all for now, we're about to sit down to dinner. I miss you all and will write more next week!

Soli Deo Gloria!

1 comment:

Laura McLain said...

You are quite impressive...I don't think I ever attempted to talk to a repairman at all while I was there! Good for you guys! I will be praying for you as you speak to the high school girls. I loved leading the Bible study with them; they are such great girls!