Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Gift

Ever been to Epcot Center and walked around all the different nations around the lake? I was there tonight... but I was at the real thing. I had a concert tonight with the band. I was told to be there at 9:00 p.m. Of course, this is late for a school night. Also, the concert was in Moita... a town I've never been to... and no one was giving me directions. They basically just told me it was at the town hall and they fully expected me to find it with only that information. If you don't know me very well, I will tell you, this is just the kind of situation that I love. Finding a place I've never been to, no one I know is there, people all around me speaking a different language... it was just the kind of adventure I am looking for. :) So, that being said, I did make it to Moita (thank you, Wikipedia) and I am just comfortable enough with Portuguese that I could ask someone where the Câmara Municipal is and understand what they tell me. Well, once I get there, I find that the town is crammed full of people and cars because this is the town's annual holiday celebration. It was a quaint town and it was decked out with lights and there was Portuguese music coming from speakers that seemed to be everywhere. It truly felt like Disney World but it a much more authentic way. :) I finally walk my way around enough to find the town square with a full blown stage set up with no one that I know in sight. There are, however, hundreds of other merry-makers at cafes, sitting on benches, carrying baloons, dancing to the music. All I know is that I'm in Moita, there's a town hall, a stage, and it's 9:00. I felt the odds of being right were in my favor, so I texted the director who told me the band was still at dinner. This I partially expected. So, I sat down and waited. Because I was in a band uniform, I was a magnet for questions. In Portuguese. That's right, at least 10 people walked up to me and asked me all manner of questions, including children. And the amazing thing? I understood every one of them and answered them! Woo hoo praise God!! It was so fun just to sit in that environment and watch people and try to talk to some of them for awhile. Eventually around 9:50 the band shows up (we are supposed to go on at 10) and I join them and meet some more people that I have always seen but never officially spoken with. Much of this was in English. :) Finally we start playing. It's a perfect night, a light and cool breeze, a full moon, and I'm on stage playing my flute. It was during that heavenly 45 minutes that it was confirmed in my heart for what seems like the millionth time that there is not an earthly pleasure that I love more than playing music for other people. The crowd was so entertained, they clapped and gave us thumbs up and it was impossible to wipe the smile off my face as I walked the long walk back to my car. God has so blessed me in the gift of being able to play flute here. He brought me to the town and enabled me to speak with people, all with such joy. I don't expect everything in life to be so carefree and happy, but tonight sure was great. Thanks God. :)
The only downside? I forgot my camera.... sorry folks. ;)

No comments: